Building Permit Information

Residential and Commercial Building Permits for properties in the R.M. of St. Andrews are issued by the Red River Planning District and Lot Grade and Private Approach Permits as well as civic addressing signage are issued by the municipality.  

Residential Building Permits
A building permit is required for all structures over 120 square feet. Types of residential permits you may require include:
  • New Homes & Additions 
  • Mobile Homes
  • Basement Development and Interior Renovations
  • Plumbing Permit
  • Garages, Sheds, etc.
  • Deck
  • Pools & Hot Tubs
  • Demolition
  • Farm Buildings
  • Temporary Structures & Uses
  • Small Tents & Canopies

Commercial Building Permits
Types of commercial building permits you may require include: 
  • Part 3 structures
  • Part 9 structures
  • Occupancy
  • Sign permit
For more information regarding the building permit requirements, process, and fees visit the Red River Planning District's website at, or contact their office:

** New Location as of November 1, 2022
Red River Planning District
2978 Birds Hill Road
East St. Paul, Manitoba R2E 1J5 
Phone: (204) 669-8880 / Toll Free Wpg. Line: 1-800-876-5831 

Inspections: 204-669-8980

Lot Grade Permits
When building a home in the R.M. of St. Andrews, a Lot Grade Permit must be applied for at the Municipal Office. A Lot Grade is required so that your new home is built at an appropriate elevation to protect your home from flooding and/or any drainage issues.
The cost of a Lot Grade Permit for Residential & Agricultural use is $500.00, with a refundable deposit of $2,500.00.

The cost of a Lot Grade Permit for Commercial & Industrial use is $500.00, with a refundable deposit of $10,000.00. 

For properties within the Lower Red River Designated Flood Area, the lot grade is established by the Province. In such cases, the $500.00 permit fee is waived, however, the applicable Damage Deposit is still required.

More information about fees and the lot grade process can be found in our Lot Grade Brochure. This brochure will give you all of the information required to apply for a lot grade.
If you are requiring a permit application form, you can download a copy here: Lot Grade Permit Application Form
If you still have questions, feel free to call the Public Works Office at 204-738-2076.

Private Approach Permits 

Anyone installing a new driveway/access to their property must obtain a Private Approach Permit from the Municipal Office. The cost of this permit is $450.00.
Included in the $450.00 is a damage deposit of $350.00, which will be refunded once our inspector has approved the culvert’s placement. 
A copy of the Private Approach By-Law and permit application form can be obtained here: Private Approach By-Law and Permit Application Form 
The municipality does not sell culverts nor install driveways. Individuals must purchase their own culverts and hire their own contractors for the installation process.
Civic Address Signs
If you require a civic address sign for the end of your driveway, please submit a service request (under Public Works/Civic Sign Request). We will order one at a cost of $40. Once the sign is received, staff will install the post and sign on your property.