Genesis of Oak Hammock
In 1886, settlers from Lower Fort Garry and St. Andrews districts gathered for their first community picnic on an oak-covered knoll bordering St. Andrews Bog. During those early years the preferred site for the picnics was the homestead "Oak Hummock", so named by its owner, Adam McDonald.
Legend has it that some of the picnickers strung hammocks from oak to oak and relaxed in the shade. As a result, the picnic site and surrounding area came to be known as "Oak Hammock".
This cairn was dedicated on July 19, 1986, the 100th anniversary of that first picnic, to honour the early settlers whose leisure activities gave rise to the name "Oak Hammock Marsh".
The dedication of the cairn was the opening event of an "Oak Hammock Day" picnic organized to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first picnic held in 1886. After the dedication the crowd travelled to the southwest side of the marsh to the observation mound site to enjoy the activities of a picnic; races for the children, buggy rides for all, tug-of-war between Rockwood and St. Andrews municipalities and then dancing on an outdoor platform to a modern band with old time fiddling as well for square dancing. The weather co-operated and the celebration didn't let up until the band packed it up at midnight.
With the restoration of the marsh, the developing of a new world-class interpretative centre and ongoing picnics, the name "Oak Hammock" has become known far and wide. Those early settlers must smile as they relax and look down from their hammocks strung between the oaks in that great "Oak Hammock" in the sky.