Netley Creek Fur Trade
From 1680-1763 the English (Hudson Bay Company) and the French (North West Company) competed for beaver pelts in the fur trade.
The Hudson Bay Company with Cree and Assiniboine tribes as middlemen brought the pelts to coastal ports. Later the HBC began establishing inland trading posts, the first being Cumberland House 60 miles west of The Pas in 1774 by Samuel Hearne.
In 1734 La Verendrye's son, Pierre, explorer and fur trader, established Fort Maurepas on a site approximately 12-14 miles (19-22 kin) upstream from the mouth of the Red River. The North West Company opened a post at Netley Creek in 1803, on the west bank of the Red River.
The Netley Marsh area as of 1805 was the most northerly limit of native horticulture. Historians believe that corn was raised by the Saulteaux. They kept gardens on levees within Netley Marsh. One was located approximately 1.5 miles (2 kin) upstream from the Red River and Netley Creek Junction.
In 1813 the HBC established a second post just north of the junction of Netley Creek and the Red River. Sixty horses were kept here to be used for transport of goods to Brandon House on the Assiniboine River. However, establishment of the Saulteaux farming settlement nearby, by Rev. William Cockran of the Anglican Church, and construction of Lower Fort Garry resulted in this post being closed.
Source: Panels erected by the Province of Manitoba, Department of Natural Resources
by Bill Gessner